SamaraCare helps people achieve their greatest potential by being compassionate and spirit-led counselors, consultants and advocates. We know mental health is a difficult subject for some, but it doesn’t have to be! When dealing with mental health, like physical health, one needs intervention when systems are not operating correctly.
Normalizing conversation about mental health helps reduce the stigma around it. When people feel more comfortable discussing their mental health issues, they are more likely to seek help. The following some facts and statistics illustrate the prevalence of mental illness.
- More than 40 million Americans experience mental illness during a single year. That’s one in five people you walk by on the street. Just because you cannot see the illness does not mean that it is not there.
- One quarter of the people mentioned above have co-occurring mental illness and addiction disorders. 10 million Americans are dealing with double the struggle.
- Half of all chronic mental illness reveals itself as early as age 14 (if not earlier!). Being aware of possible symptoms and seeking treatment early can help save a life.
- Only 44% of adults with diagnosable mental health problems receive proper treatment. This means that the other 56% go untreated, often due to lack of education about mental health, or fear of stigma. If you think that you or a loved one might be showing signs of a mental health disorder, you can take the first step to recovery with a free, anonymous screening at screening.mentalhealthscreening.org/sc
Remember: you are not alone. Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) to speak to someone at the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.